July 25 is National Carousel Day, a holiday created to honor the first carousel patented by its inventor, William Schneider of Davenport, Iowa, in 1871.
Celebrate the day with a ride on one of our two carousels – or both.
Located near Capriz at Pavilion Park West, the kids will love riding the beautiful Morgan-Chance carousel made in the mid-1980s.
But while this carousel is a beauty, our other is a real, historic gem.
Built by two brothers-in-law in 1912, our Herschell-Spillman Carousel is located at Pavilion Park East near the Hampton Inn at Broadway at the Beach. There are less than a handful of these wonders still operating in the world, making riding this carousel a truly memorable experience.
Unlike many traditional carousels that showcase only horses, ours has many different animals on it, including frogs, lions, ostriches, zebras, giraffes, roosters and more. The animals are hand-carved out of wood, hand-painted, and have real glass eyes.
Some of the animals on our carousel are rare even for a Herschell-Spillman. For example, our frog (hop toad) is dressed in human clothing and the stork has the image of a baby carved on its side. Other special animals include the ostrich, sea serpent, and the “flag” horses which have the image of the American flag carved on their sides and tails of real horse hair.
At Broadway, history and fun come together on National Carousel Day.
There’s nothing better to top off a summer day at the beach than a nice dinner, followed by a blockbuster action movie.
Except maybe a blockbuster action movie in 3D on a giant floor-to-ceiling movie screen, with state-of-the-art sound systems, and high resolution, awesomely bright picture quality. And, in Myrtle Beach, that means heading to the one place that delivers the ultimate movie experience, the BigD Theater at Broadway.
Starting Friday, July 25, you can sit back in a comfortable leather seat that actually rocks, slip on a pair of 3D glasses, and be amazed by one of the most anticipated movies of the year. It’s “Hercules” with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson taking on the iconic role of the the powerful son of the god king Zeus.
But be forewarned: when you catch a 3D movie at BigD, you’ll become part of the action. Images will jump off the screen right before your eyes and booming sounds will swirl all around you, as the theater walls vibrate. Can you endure ferocious giant lions and slithery serpents leaping from the film and armies of the undead swarming all around you?
If not, you can choose a 2D option on the BigD giant screen. Or you can head over to the Carmike Cinema where 2D and 3D versions will be shown on more traditionally-sized screens.
Do you have the courage to face all that Hercules delivers from the BigD screen?
Kids of all ages love to bring home vacation souvenirs. That’s always been a way to prolong the memories of all the fun had during that precious time at the beach. But how can everyone in the family go home with something special without breaking the vacation budget?
What if you could find something for under $5 each? We’ve done the shopping and found some pretty nice items at two very cool shops, Crabby Jack’s on the north side of Broadway, and Crabby Jill’s on the south side.
Check out these 5 ideas:
1. Little girls (and grown up girls, too) love to be fashionable. Flip Flop Art Glass Earrings say both beach and fashion. They come in a variety of colors, each with a little tropical flower on top. And at just $4.99, the girls in your family can keep a bit of their beach vacation with them all year long.
2. Sometimes the trip home from vacation can seem like forever. Keep the kids from getting bored with Under the Sea Playing Cards. These souvenirs will occupy the kids and entertain them for hours. At just $4.99 for the deck, the 14 different images and 54 fun facts in these cards will buy you a quiet ride home at a bargain rate.
3. Teens always need a key chain or two, so what about one that features tiny dangling dolphins and a small corked bottle filled with sand and sea shells from the beach? For just $3.99, they can keep their beach memories close for a long time with a Seashells by the Seashore Key Chain.
4. Mom and Dad will be reminded of romantic strolls along the beach each time they see their Kissing Seahorses statuette that they take home. Adorned with seashells and cute as can be, it’s a real steal at $4.99.
5. When vacation is over, it’s back to the normal routine. We’re all crabby from time to time, so why not turn those frowns into smiles with a humorous sign? For just $4.99, take home a sign for your kitchen or family room that teases “Quit-Cher Crabbin” or “We Serve Crabs, Actually We’ll Serve Anybody.”
It is possible to get great souvenirs for under $5 each. You just need to know where to look. These top 5 and more can be found at Crabby Jack’s and Crabby Jill’s.
We get questions about Broadway at the Beach every day. Visitors stop by Guest Services or drop us a post on our Facebook page wondering about all sorts of things. Most folks are intrigued by the sites, the sounds and the size of Broadway. We’re asked about our fireworks, traveling performers and even the fish in our lake. So we thought we’d share ten interesting facts about Broadway that answer many of the questions we’re asked. And, if you have more, head over to our Facebook page and ask away!
1. Broadway at the Beach’s 14 million visitors a year literally come from all over America and beyond. The top 5 states that send us visitors are North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
2. Our 75 in-line shops and 30 kiosks offer everything from trendy sandals and delicious fudge, to beautiful jewelry and apparel. We even have a magic shop called Broadway Magic.
3. Sixteen nightclubs provide a wide variety of entertainment from comedians performing at the Carolina Comedy Club to live bands playing all kinds of music at several clubs in Celebrity Square and nearby restaurants.
4. Twenty-six attractions fill up your senses at Broadway. Tribute artists give high energy performances at Legends In Concert and an awesome magic show is currently playing at The Palace. Ripley’s Aquarium lets you walk through a tunnel with sharks swimming overhead. You can even get your photo taken with a life-like wax model of your favorite star at our new Hollywood Wax Museum.
5. There are more than 20 amusement rides in 3 different parks around Broadway. From kiddie rides to thrill rides, we’ve got it. It’s also an adventure to soar over Lake Broadway on a zipline or have some fun just riding on the lake in a jet boat, paddle boat or water rollerz.
6. Events are a regular part of the Broadway experience. Broadway at the Beach hosts an average of 25 events and/or festivals annually including several 5K’s, car shows and charitable walks. And our Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration is one of the most popular events in the area as we illuminate our 52 foot tall tree with 141,000 lights as performers bring in the holiday season.
7. Just how big is Lake Broadway? Our 23-acre lake is 100 feet across and 1 mile in length. Depths range from 3 to 15 feet.
8. How many fish are in our lake? We’ve stopped counting! We originally stocked the lake with about 29,000 fish including Bream, Catfish, Hybrid Bass, Japanese Carp and Israeli Carp when we opened in 1995. A quick look around and you’ll see that we have a pretty healthy (and growing) aquatic population that now also includes wildlife such as seagulls, turtles, ducks and more.
9. Our fish consume approximately 34,000 ponds of fish food every year, thanks to our many visitors who stop on the bridges at our feeders and toss in the food that draws the fish up to the surface for chow.
10. Our most popular regular events are our fireworks shows held Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 p.m. during the summer as well as several seasonal shows throughout the remainder of the year. Weather permitting, we’ll present 30 free fireworks shows this year. And by seasons end, we will have exploded nearly 100,000 shots over Broadway.
Now that you have the facts, come out and enjoy!
Summer vacation is a time to make lasting memories. What will your child remember most about a Myrtle Beach vacation? Maybe it’s catching that perfect wave on a boogie board. Going up, down and around on a favorite carousel horse while waving to you. Or maybe just walking along the sandy beach with you searching for that special seashell.
This year, why not also take home both the memory of a great time together and a lasting reminder of the trip?
At Build-A-Bear Workshop®, kids can literally “make” a new friend. A bunny, a bear, just about whatever the heart desires can be customized from start to finish with special clothing and accessories. Choose the popular beach theme and create a new friend dressed in shorts and decked out with accessories like beach towels, Myrtle Beach bag packs, sunglasses and sandals.
The #1 seller, Beach Bunny!
You’ll both leave Build-A-Bear Workshop with a smile on your face and a lifelong friend, as well as an extra special beach memory that can be treasured forever.
Most Americans won’t leave home without them.
Sixty-three percent of Americans use their mobile devices to access the internet for information, says the Pew Research Center. If you’re one of them, we’ve got great news for you — Broadway at the Beach has a free mobile app that is a simple and fast gateway to all things Broadway!
When you download our app, you’ll get instant access to information on shopping, dining, attractions and events. Looking for a new pair of sandals? Our app lets you search for shoe stores and shows you where the stores are on a map.
While you’re strolling through Broadway, you can now easily connect to Broadway’s social media through our app. Post your comments and photos — we love to learn about the fun times you’re having.
Interested in what others are saying about their Broadway at the Beach experiences? Just want to know more about a specific store or restaurant? Quickly connect to TripAdvisor through our app, check out the reviews or post one of your own.
Large parking lots can be confusing. But with our app, you’ll never have trouble finding your car at Broadway. Our “car finder” feature marks where your car is parked and lets you save the location for later when you’re ready to head home.
Looking for something special to do in Myrtle Beach tonight or next week? Our app gives you access to a calendar of events and a list of our free, live entertainment so you can plan ahead.
And, when you just can’t be at Broadway, you can still enjoy the fun by tapping into the app’s webcam feature. As our three webcams scan the lake and shops, you can dream about your next visit!
As one TripAdvisor reviewer recently raved “Broadway at the Beach has everything in one place.”
Now you can discover it all through our app!
Americans have been celebrating Independence Day with fireworks since our nation was born. And there’s no better place in Myrtle Beach to celebrate your love of pyrotechnics than Broadway at the Beach.
We’ll be lighting up the sky over Lake Broadway at 10 p.m. on July 4.
But before we end July 4 with a spectacular fireworks display, we’ve got lots for families to do in and around Broadway on July 3 and all day July 4.
After a hot day on the beach, cool off in the breeze way up high on our new Rocket Flyer ride. At 180 feet tall, it’s the only amusement ride of its kind. Looking for some indoor amusements? At WonderWorks, you can relax on a bed of nails between all the interactive fun. Or stop by Ripley’s Aquarium where you can safely go eye-to-eye with sharks as they swim over your head. Is shopping your favorite adventure? Find a special Independence Day treasure on sale at one of the many shops.
On the evening of July 3, celebrate America’s melting pot of ethnic foods by dining at Yamato Steak House Japan, Capriz Italian Feast or on Carlos ‘n Charlie’s mexican delights.
How about a baseball game? It’s America’s favorite pastime, and it’s played at TicketReturn.com field just across 21st Avenue from Broadway at the Beach. There’s a post-game fireworks display on July 3. Not a baseball fan? You’ll be able to see the stadium fireworks right from Broadway at the Beach!
On July 4, discover the best in All-American foods with a hamburger from Good Time Charley’s Burger World menu or a Charley (hot) dog. Then, get ready for an evening of free activities at Broadway. That’s right, FREE.
Mr. Nigel will be entertaining the young and young at heart from Heroes Harbor stage from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. At Center Court, kids can whoop it up with some free face painting. Be on the lookout for the juggling clown magician and stilt walker — they’ll be roaming around Broadway!
The Mark Roberts Band will fill the air with music from Celebrity Square Stage starting at 7 p.m. Party in the Square! Everyone can dance to the rock, funk and country rock sounds.
The evening of our Nation’s birthday wraps up with our Independence Day Fireworks display over Lake Broadway at 10 p.m.
So put on your red, white and blue and head over to Broadway at the Beach — there’s no better place to spend the 4th!
People have been seeing and reporting UFO sightings over the Myrtle Beach area for nearly 50 years. This area actually has one of the most well-documented histories of multiple UFO sightings in the world!
In fact, one of the largest sightings of UFOs took place on August 2012 when hundreds of people witnessed and reported what appeared to be a large mother ship on a rendezvous with a smaller flying craft over North Myrtle Beach!
On July 2, UFO enthusiasts from all over the planet will be recognizing World UFO Day and scanning the skies for signs of extraterrestrial visitors. Do you believe in UFOs? If you’re uncertain or just plain curious, we’ve got some pretty interesting evidence for you at Broadway at the Beach.
Just visit Encounters: UFO Experience, An Out-of-this-World Museum.
At this family-friendly exhibition, you can move through seven galleries that explore everything from how ancient cultures experienced UFOs to how our military has dealt with sightings in modern times. There’s fascinating evidence about famous UFO events in places like Area 51 and Roswell. New for 2014: interactive exhibits where you can shoot an alien, launch a UFO, speak to aliens, and even feel some alien innards.
Start your search for aliens on July 2nd at this out-of-this-world museum — you never know what you’ll encounter.
When you go on a family vacation, it’s really all about the kids. Kids even have their own official summer holiday — Sunday, June 29, known as “America’s Kids Day.” At Broadway at the Beach, we don’t just celebrate kids on June 29. Every day is Kids Day at Broadway!
Broadway’s restaurants offer kids menus, special pricing, and some even let kids eat free.
Landry’s Seafood, Liberty Brewery & Grill, and Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville all offer special kids menus with favorites like burgers and chicken tenders. And, while waiting for a table, your kids will be entertained by balloon artists.
Joe’s Crab Shack offers a kids menu with seafaring twists. Dishes include rockin’ popcorn shrimp, captain’s catch, and beach buddie beverages like the Shark Nibble. There’s even a playground on site to work off some of the food-inspired energy.
How about some spontaneous dancing? Head to Johnny Rockets where there’s a kids menu, and the whole family will have a blast watching the staff line dance to everyone’s favorite tunes.
Just about every kid loves Italian food — and lots of it. Capriz delivers. Parents can enjoy a nice meal while your growing teenagers stuff themselves at the amazing buffet. And children 6 and under get to eat for free.
So whether you’re celebrating “America’s Kids Day” or just enjoying another fun night out with your growing youngsters, remember to savor every moment. And, at Broadway at the Beach, you can savor the savings too.
Savoring a good glass of wine can be one of the high points of a beach vacation for Mom and Dad. So treat yourself.
After a day at the beach with the kids, slip on over to Coastal Carolina Winery at Broadway at the Beach. You’ll discover wine by the glass and the bottle, or just settle in for a wine tasting of 7 different wines. On a hot day, there’s nothing more refreshing than a wine slushy and the kids will love the non-alcoholic blueberry slushy.
From wine-related souvenirs and tee shirts, to Carolinas handmade pottery, to the winery’s own selection of chutney, salad dressings, sauces and dips, there’s something to catch everyone’s fancy.
Whether you’re a wine enthusiast, enjoy a casual glass of wine, looking for a unique experience, or want to cool off with a slushy drink, stop by Coastal Carolina Winery. It’s always wine time there.